Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ruffled Bracelet/Cuff


Here is a fun, cheap and easy way to make a bracelet.  It incorporates all the trends right now-ruffles, yo-yo flowers and fabric.  I even had everything I needed at home-no need to go out and buy anything.  Here are the needed supplies:

Fabric
Ribbon
Thread
Velcro (optional)
Hot Glue Gun

Step One:
*Note-the sizing for these instructions are for a 7" wrist. You may need to adjust to accommodate your wrist.

Cut out a strip of fabric 2" by 16".  You can sew pieces together to get 16".  The seam will be hidden by the ruffles.  Believe it or not, I got my fabric for free from one of those design swatch books.

Step Two:
You can either fold your ruffles and pin, or just eye it like I did.  Sew a straight stitch all the way down the middle  to secure the ruffles.
Step Three:
Measure your sewed bracelet, and 1", and cut your ribbon this length if you are going the velcro route.  If you are going the tied-bow route, you will want to make your ribbon 3 times the length of your sewed bracelet.  Sew this down the middle again.  I used zig zag on some, and a straight stitch on others.  If you are using velcro, use the extra 1/2" on each of the ribbon ends to tuck under  the ends of the bracelet. (sorry, did not get a picture to show what I mean)

Step Four: 
Next you will need to make any kind of flower that is out there.  Or you can add whatever else you want to the middle.  I just hot glued mine right to the ribbon.  If want to use velcro, go ahead and add this, one to each end.  Make sure you add one to the top, and one to the bottom.  I tried just using the stick on, but after taking it on and off and few times, it started coming loose.  So, just sew it on with a few stitches.
I also made a few cuffs.  I did this by sewing the ends together.  Make sure you make it big enough to fit over your hand/wrist, but not too big to fall off.
That's it!  I made 7 of these in about 2 hours.  This included designing and figuring out the measurements.  Here are some more pictures of the finished product!



No comments: